In 1884, in line with Japan’s newly introduced Westernisation policy and in accordance with The Meiji Emperor’s proposal, The Tokyo Club was established by then Minister of Foreign Affairs, Kaoru Inouye, as a British-style gentlemen’s Club.
The original purpose of The Tokyo Club was to promote international goodwill, along with friendship and the exchange of knowledge between Club members. This objective and the free spirit it embodies continue to guide the Club to the present day.
The Tokyo Club’s founding members included many leading Japanese statesmen, bureaucrats, and ﬁnanciers, as well as foreign dignitaries such as ambassadors and corporate representatives. During the Showa era, both pre- and post-WWII, the Club’s membership continued to be drawn from leaders in various ﬁelds, a trend which still prevails to this day.
The Club was originally established in the Rokumeikan guesthouse and used its facilities until 1897, when the ﬁrst dedicated Club House was built in Shinbashi. Club life became ever more active, and in 1912 a new Club House was constructed in Kasumigaseki. In 2005, the Tokyo Club relocated to a modern purpose-built Club House in Roppongi 1-chome.
Over the Club's long history, many members of the Japanese Imperial family have fulﬁlled the role of Patron, with the position currently held by His Imperial Highness Prince Masahito Hitachi. The Club has a total membership of 600, comprising both Japanese and international members.